Welcome to Poker Jokers!  Find out more...
Pages: 1
Sklanskys Hand Rankings (Read 4849 times)
Five Fingers
YaBB Administrator

"Cards are war
disguised as
sport"

Sklanskys Hand Rankings
Aug 8th, 2006, 3:06pm

These hand rankings first appeared in David Sklanskys book Essays on Poker. The rankings are as follows, with an 's' indicating suited and an 'x' indicating a small card. Note that 10 is represented as 'T'. Also, if no 's' appears, the the hand is not suited.

Gp 1     Gp 2     Gp 3     Gp 4     Gp 5     Gp 6     Gp 7     Gp 8  

AA         TT         99         T9s       77         66         44         87    
    KK         AQs       JTs       KQ         87s       AT         J9         A9    
    QQ         AJs       QJs       88         Q9s       55         64s       Q9    
    JJ         KQs       KJs       QTs       T8s       86s         T9         76    
                AK         ATs         98s         KJ           KT         53s         42s    
                            AQ         J9s         QJ         QT         33         32s    
                                        AJ         JT         54s       98         96s    
                                        KTs         76s         K9s         43s         85s    
                                                    97s         J8s         22         J8    
                                                    Axs         75s         Kxs         J7s    
                                                    65s                     T7s         65    
                                                                            Q8s       54    
                                                                                        74s    
                                                                                        K9    
                                                                                        T8    

Source: Holdem Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth

Email | WWW   IP Logged
Five Fingers
YaBB Administrator

"Cards are war
disguised as
sport"

Holdem Poker for Advanced Players
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2006, 3:31pm

Comment

Sklansky and Malmouth promise to turn you into a great holdem player. Unfortunately they try to do so by explaining every variation of hands, table positions and betting patterns in the Universe.  

By the two thousandth set play I started feeling as if I had been beaten about the head with a poker baseball bat.  

Worse, I was becoming increasingly confused.  

Can you really prepare for every eventuality? I was becoming paralysed by knowledge and had visions of sitting at the poker table trembling with fear, trying to remember what Sklansky would do if the player four seats to my right was wearing a yellow hat and biting the nail on his left hand little finger.  

Thats not to say there isnt some excellent poker tips within this book. The mechanics of the game have been dissected and dissected again. Indeed it is bible-esque in the shear scale of the project.

And thats the point. I think, being a great player is a divine gift, not something you explain using maths and tables.  

If you want to win playing tight, dull, grinding, soul destroying poker, this is for you. If you would rather lose a few but keep a personality, go elsewhere.  

Perfect as a toilet read when you have a spare five minutes. It just doesn't read coherently as chapters.  

Top Tip: Sklansky and Malmouth have ranked starting hands into groups. Using the strategies of Sklansky should turn the beginner / intermediate player into a regular contender.

Email | WWW   IP Logged
TheColonel
YaBB Newbies

Poker Jokers Member

Re: Holdem Poker for Advanced Players
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2008, 6:20pm

Quote from Five Fingers on Aug 8th, 2006, 3:31pm:
[size=13]Comment

Sklansky and Malmouth promise to turn you into a great holdem player. ETCembarrassed/size]

I agree with you five, The same applies to Phill Gordons little blue book.

IP Logged
Pages: 1