Welcome to Poker Jokers!  Find out more...
Pages: 1
tournament strategies (Read 3337 times)
linardi
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

tournament strategies
May 24th, 2005, 12:55pm

i was just wandering  if any 1 had any tips 4 playing mtt or sit n go's online as i normally get to the last 50-100 then get knocked out wud appreciate an help

Email   IP Logged
The Poker Gofer

Re: tournament strategies
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2005, 2:28pm

hi linardi

i spose i do have some tips...

i have played a number of tournaments and went thru a phase last year placing 6th, 4th and 2nd. i then won a real money tournament of 300 players which was nice.

i guess the best tip is be disciplined and be patient.  i mean REALLY REALLY disciplined and patient... REALLY! have i emphasised this enough!

in my view:

1st 2 hours:

NEVER BLUFF
BET ONLY EXCELLENT HANDS
DONT BE AFRAID TO FOLD A GOOD HAND
ONLY GO ALL IN IF YOU HAVE THE NUTS

After 2 hours

NEVER BLUFF
STILL BET ONLY GOOD HANDS e.g. AJ upwards
ONLY GO ALL IN IF YOU HAVE THE NUTS

When 30 people left:

TRY TO WIN THE BLINDS BUT DONT GO MAD
TRY ONLY IF YOU HAVE A HAND
DONT BLUFF

its a boring way to play but effective. others may have different ideas.

of course thats what works for me, not always, you always need some luck at some point, but always make top 30.

so in short, dont be afraid to fold JJ, QQ A10 etc.

you will think you are letting winning pots go by but in the long run (and a tourney IS a long run), you just have to win a few blinds and double up now and then.

remember, you dont have to bet it all to get a fold. any pot raise at this stage is normally enough.

in the real money tourney i player for 8 hours! its a marathon not a sprint. it takes alot of work to win 5000 chips but just one hand to lose em on a stupid bluff.

of course actually winning requires a change of strategy and much stronger play in the final stages...

hope that helps

cheers

Gofer

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1