Welcome to Poker Jokers!  Find out more...
Pages: 1
College Poker Championship Help? (Read 2381 times)
College_Poker
YaBB Newbies

College Poker Championship Help?
Aug 31st, 2004, 12:11pm

Hi guys,

I new to the poker world or should I say online poker world. I have played with a couple friends every now and then but I need some help with playing poker. My friends got me into online poker last year with the CollegePokerChampionship 2004 tourney that they held last year. But even there I only managed to play 3 tourneys/games and didn't do well. they have entered me into the CollegePokerChampionship 2005 season and this time I want to show them that I can do well. I want to surprise them all by qualifying for the main online event. So I have done my homework on poker books but there is so many out there!  

Can somebody please at least tell me what books they used and which ones are most helpful as I am a student with a limited bankroll and time and to buy the wrong book could be pokerlife-threatening...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. who knows, maybe I win and mention your name on ESPN as the person who helped me kick it off my career.

Thanks Again
TJ

IP Logged
Five Fingers
Ex Member

Re: College Poker Championship Help?
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2004, 11:31pm

hi TJ

theres a saying that poker books ruin your game and theres some truth in it if you ask me... however, thats not to say we aint well read!

if you are playing online poker i wouldnt bother with the books. i have played many online tourneys with 400 players and reached the final table a number of times using the simple strategy of grinding, theres no other way.  

fold everything and wait ... and wait ... and wait... until you get high pairs or AK. then go all in!  you need a little luck but will be playing the odds... as the blinds go up so slowly and you start with a big chip stack you shouldnt be anted away.

you might want to be reading your book on real poker at the time as this strategy is like watching paint dry. highly effective though.

as for good poker books at the intermediate level...  

i liked the following to improve understanding of reading players:

The Education of a Poker Player

amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1843440016/qid%3D1050999837/sr%3D1-1/ref%3Dsr%5F1%
5F2%5F1/202-3292482-2097437

i liked the following to understand how improve my Hold Em game:

Thursday-Night Poker: Understand, Enjoy, Win  

amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679760202/qid=1093994685/br=3-23/br_lfncs_b_23/20
2-3292482-2097437

i have no doubt others will have differing opinions! I have read some of the 'system' books but find no enjoyment in becoming a poker robot...

you might of course...

WWW   IP Logged
The Professor

Re: College Poker Championship Help?
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2004, 11:35am

Author  Vorhaus, John  
Title  Killer poker online, crushing the internet game  
Class  795.412  
Codes  040504s2003 us W 00000 eng    
Publisher  Lyle Stuart, 2003    

Cheesy Just like the title

IP Logged