VISIT THE NEW POKER FORUM
Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
   Poker Jokers
   The Poker Joker Forum
   Poker Tips and Tricks
   How can I spot a tell?
Pages: 1 Reply | Notify of replies | Send the topic | Print 
   Author  Topic: How can I spot a tell?  (Read 1097 times)
JORGE

How can I spot a tell?
« on: May 19th, 2003, 2:29pm »
| Reply with quote | Modify

I PLAY POKER LIKE 3 TIMES A WEEK AND THERE IS THIS GUY THAT EVERY TIME WE PLAY HE ALWAYS WIN SO I WILL LIKE TO KNOW A QUICK WAY TO PICK A TELL.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2003, 4:00pm by Big Dog » Logged

YaBB Newbie

View Profile | E-Mail
Re: How can I spot a tell?
« Reply #1 on: May 19th, 2003, 4:27pm »
| Reply with quote | Modify

Jorge

if the same person wins again and again...

...it sounds to me like you should worry more about what you are doing than what anyone else is up to.

i suspect that the person is 'gambling' less than you.  

he gambles strong, but only when the odds favour him.

he loses small with weak cards and wins big with stronger cards.  in the long run the person ends up ahead and wins.

everyone has a different theory, but a famous book published in the seventies, the Theory of Poker, suggested that beginners should play extremely cautiously to stand a chance against a more experienced player.

Group 1: AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AKs (same suit)
Group 2: TT, AQs, AJs, KQs, AK
Group 3: 99, JTs, QJs, KJs, ATs, AQ
Group 4: T9s, KQ, 88, QTs, 98s, J9s, AJ, KTs
Group 5: 77, 87s, Q9s, T8s, KJ, QJ, JT, 76s, 97s, Axs, 65s
Group 6: 66, AT, 55, 86s, KT, QT, 54s, K9s, J8s, 75s
Group 7: 44, J9, 64s, T9, 53s, 33, 98, 43s, 22, Kxs, T7s, Q8s
Group 8: 87, A9, Q9, 76, 42s, 32s, 96s, 85s, J8, J7s, 65, 54, 74s, K9, T8

bet pre-flop only with a pair of cards in the first four groups.  Be prepared to call more to see a flop with a group one hand.

be disciplined. fold anything else if it is going to cost you any chips to see the flop.

even if you don't win, the effect of playing a cautious game will change the way the person perceives you.  that person will realise that you are only prepared to bet if you have a strong hand and will have more respect and 'steal' less pots.  you will also lose less 'easy money'.

this is a much simplified version of Sklanskys theory.  For the full version get a copy of his book from Amazon.  

one important thing to remember is that a hand becomes stronger the less people left in the game.  

for example, in the heads up when only two people are left, and there is less chance of your opponent having a good hand, be prepared to bet groups 5 and 6.

unfortunately this strategy makes you predictable and some variation may be needed.  understanding your opponents behaviour and 'tells' are vital, but should come after you understand the strength of your own cards.

if you are still looking for information on tells, try visiting Mike Caro's University of Poker.

http://www.planetpoker.com/mcu/

Good luck, let us know how you get on...

The Poker Gofer
Pages: 1 Reply | Notify of replies | Send the topic | Print 
Jump to:

Poker Jokers (http://www.pokerjokers.co.uk/cgi-bin/archive/YaBB.cgi)